Why Use Natural Toothpaste?
Katie Wells said that she started making my own toothpaste after getting frustrated that I couldn’t find a store-bought brand that didn’t have questionable ingredients, including sweeteners, fluoride, triclosan, glycerin, surfactants and artificial colors/dyes or synthetic flavores. Therefore, she decided to make natural toothpaste which will not harm human’s body.
There are many natural ways to promote good oral health, but few studies advocate the use of homemade toothpaste over those available commercially.
Natural Toothpaste Recipe
Make a natural toothpaste at home with coconut oil, peppermint oil, oil of oregano.
- 6 Tbsp. Organic Coconut Oil (Soften but not melted)
- 4 Tbsp. Baking Soda
- 20 Drops of Oil of Oregano
- 20 Drops of Peppermint Oil
- Begin by leaving the coconut oil in a warm spot to soften. Mix it with the baking soda until smooth.
- Add the oils and stir to combine.
- Divide up the paste into small jars. Keep in a warm spot or use a small spoon to scoop onto your toothbrush
Other ways to keep your smile bright
Your teeth lose minerals as you age. Rather than relying on a natural toothpaste, try keeping up healthy lifestyle habits like eating fruits and vegetables and reducing sugary and acidic foods to remineralize teeth.
Dark beverages like coffee, tea, soda, and red wine may stain your teeth, so keeping away from them will help you keep your smile bright. Tobacco products can also take away the natural white shine of your teeth.
Maintaining good oral health will keep you healthy overall. This includes considering fluoride toothpaste and visiting your dentist regularly.